16 November 2023
On Tuesday, November 14th, more than 290,000 gathered in our backyard on the National Mall, to show their support for Israel. It was an historic moment as we rallied for Israel and the immediate release of the hostages and raised our voices against antisemitism. The feeling of unity and community was truly incomparable.
So what happens now? Our work as American Jews is far from over.
You can take immediate action.
- Call your elected officials – now and constantly – to remind them that the return of all 240 hostages continues to remain a top U.S. and global priority. Take one minute today and every day to join the Hostages and Missing Families Forum in making direct, urgent, and repeated appeals to elected representatives.
- As Israel’s war against Hamas continues, the US is experiencing a dramatic 316% spike in antisemitism. The elected officials supporting the Jewish community and Israel in this moment need to hear from us. Join our JCRC partners to contact them today. Thank them for their support and urge them to continue defending Israel’s right to protect itself, to call for the release of the hostages, and to stand against rising antisemitism.
Combat Antisemitism on Campus
- Do you donate to your alma mater? Have children or grandchildren on college campuses? Sit on a local PTA or support a private school? Reach out to the school administration today to demand campus-wide action plans to combat antisemitism and advocate for education on antisemitism, and contact your campus Hillel to offer your support for their essential work. Visit Hillel’s resource pages for students and parents.
- For more on how to combat antisemitism – on campus and everywhere – explore resources and tools for addressing antisemitism, intolerance, & bias.
Call on our Allies
- Ask your non-Jewish friends, networks, and local clergy to stand with us. It was heartening to see so many non-Jewish attendees at the March for Israel. Urge them to continue to show up and speak out against antisemitism on social media, amongst their own networks, and wherever they see hatred.
However you choose to act, now is the time to do so. I hope you’ll share how you are taking action with me here. Thank you for continuing to advocate for Israel and the hostages and for confronting antisemitism.
CEO, The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington