15 December 2023
In one of my first reflections of 2023, I wrote about the power of community and how we find the most success when we harness our unique experiences, understandings, and relationships to overcome challenges. I believe this now more than ever as we finish a year marked by new obstacles and almost unimaginable challenges, both locally and abroad.
I have seen it in the ways we continue to bring our community together to address pressing issues, including:
- Joining together to address the attacks in Israel and the rise of antisemitism in the US.
- Convening community members to provide space for discussion on challenging issues.
- Partnering with synagogues, schools, and other organizations to enhance the safety and security of our community.
- Helping more families send their children to Jewish day schools and Jewish summer camps.
- Providing critical support to those families struggling with financial insecurity.
- Supporting the unique challenges faced by teens, college students, and young adults in the current climate.
- Empowering many others to build community across a diverse range of views and modes of engagement.
These are but a few examples of our collective, ongoing efforts to support individuals and strengthen Jewish life across our region and around the world. Every one of these initiatives is dependent on multiple organizations coming together to focus on a common goal and build a stronger community.
These achievements also underscore the current and ongoing needs Federation – and you as donors and community members – are addressing.
There is no completion date for this essential work. That’s why we need your ongoing support. Even as we face new challenges, we must continue to grow the critical support that ensures the vibrancy of our community.
To those who have already made your gift to Federation’s Annual Campaign, I thank you on behalf of a grateful Jewish community. For those still finalizing your end-of-year giving plans, I invite you to donate what you are able before midnight on December 31st at shalomdc.org/donate or by calling 301-230-7239 by 3:00 PM on Friday, December 29<supth.
The strength of our Jewish community is only possible because of the care and thought you put into building it. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do for our community. It is an honor to be able to partner with you in this incredible work.
CEO, The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington