21 October 2022
It’s understandable to question how we can make a significant difference and affect change amid constant evolution and many concurrent crises. How can I support those in need in the midst of an unjust war in Ukraine, while at the same time helping fellow community members suffering from food insecurity or in need of other support? How can I — and my friends and family — meaningfully engage in building vibrant Jewish life in our local Jewish community while supporting Russian Jews seeking to escape and make their way to Israel?
As we’ve seen, especially over the last few years, the answers to these questions and many more are in our community’s ability to collectively meet shared and evolving challenges head on. Our communal accomplishments are only possible because of people like you, who care about our community and its future and who want to make a lasting impact. Together, we can provide our community with the leadership and resources to build a brighter future.
At Federation, October is Match Month — a time when donors and community members like you can maximize your impact. All new and increased donations made to Federation before October 31st will be matched, dollar-for-dollar, doubling your impact to ensure that our Jewish community’s children, families, students, and seniors can live safely and with dignity and hope. I hope you’ll join us by giving to help those who need it most — and who rely on us to ensure a vibrant Jewish future. If you’re able, please visit shalomdc.org/matchnow to donate before the end of the month.
Your generosity empowers us to:
- Continue to bring our community together to address the biggest and most complicated issues confronting Jewish Greater Washington, including meeting the needs of Jews facing economic insecurity.
- Enhance the security and preparedness of our community’s synagogues, schools, and organizations.
- Help more families send their children to Jewish summer camps, many for the very first time.
- Grow our Community Shlichim (Israeli emissary) Program so more members of our community can deepen their relationships with Israel and Israelis.
- Support Greater Washington’s strong Jewish communal ecosystem of agencies, including two new Federation partners — GatherDC and Garden of Remembrance.
- Build on decades of collaboration with international partners to help safely resettle fleeing Ukrainians, Russians, and Ethiopians and support Jews in need, wherever they are and whenever they need us.
This work — and so much more — is only possible because of your support and leadership. I am proud of how our community continues to respond in times of both crisis and stability, and I know we will continue to accomplish great things together. We could not do it without you.
Sign up here to receive future weekly reflections.