18 October 2018
Moroccan Cooked Tomato and Pepper Salad
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 plum tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ lemon
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Core, seed, and finely chop a red bell pepper; chop onion.
- Thinly slice garlic cloves.
- Sauté the pepper, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan with 1 tablespoon kosher salt and ¼ cup canola oil.
- When the vegetables are translucent, about 15 minutes, add the tomatoes.
- Cook for 1 to 1½ hours, or until the mixture resembles a chunky tomato sauce.
- Transfer to a bowl, add salt to taste, a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil and chopped cilantro.
Matbucha recipe from Israeli Soul by Michael Solomonov and Steven Cook. Copyright © 2018 by Gafen, Inc.
Photography by Michael Persico. Copyright © 2018 by Michael Persico.
Used with permission from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.